- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 5 cloves of garlic, peeled and mince
- 4 pounds peeled tomatoes or 2 (28-ounce) cans whole tomatoes, crushed in food processor or by hand
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon organic cane sugar (regular sugar, honey or even maple syrup would also work)
- 8–10 leaves of fresh basil, roughly torn
Heat the olive oil in a large heavy-bottom pan on medium heat. Add in the garlic and stir until lightly browned for about 2 minutes.
Add in the tomato, salt, pepper, red pepper flakes and sugar. Cook over medium heat, stirring every few minutes, until it starts to thicken, about 20–25 minutes.
Stir in the chopped fresh basil and turn the heat off. Let the sauce cool to room temperature.
Divide it among freezer-friendly jars or other airtight containers.
Feel free to freeze it up to 4 months or keep in the fridge up to a week.