- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
- coarse, kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 2 pounds ground lamb
- 4 tablespoons chopped (fresh) cilantro
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 6 hamburger buns or small pitas or 2 naan (indian flatbread)
- 1 cup plain whole-milk yogurt (drained of whey)
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh mint
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lime zest
- kosher salt, to taste
For the raita:
Prepare raita by mixing all ingredients together, blending well. Cover and place in refrigerator until chilled, up to 4 hours.
For the burgers:
Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in medium sized skillet over medium heat. Add onion and a teaspoon salt. Sauté until tender, approximately 5 to 6 minutes. Add curry powder and stir for about 1 minute; remove from heat. Cool mixture.
Place ground lamb in large bowl, add onion mixture, 1 teaspoon salt, cilantro, and freshly ground black pepper (approximately 1 tablespoon). Mix thoroughly and shape lamb into six ½-inch patties.
Grill lamb burgers over a medium-high grill (or under broiler). Cook for about 4 minutes or until grill marks appear. Flip burgers and cook until done; medium-rare will take approximately 4 minutes more.
Place burgers on hamburger buns or on naan/flat breads with optional tomato slices and a spoonful of raita.